Welcome!

Maker Space

Well, if you know me, you know that I'm always looking for innovative ideas, that I like variety, that I'm not fond of worksheets but I am fond of hands on activities, that when I get an idea in my head or find something new, it's almost instantly implemented in my classroom and that I love inquiry.

I'm always challenging myself as a teacher. I believe we all have an art, my art is teaching, it's where I shine, it's where my inner genius comes out. When I get an idea that I want to try out with the kids, my excitement overflows and I start jotting and drawing.

I've been working on something the past few days that has caused this excitement to ignite and as the ideas flow, the jotting and drawing have been showing up in my little nook at home. The other morning I came running into the living room yelling, "Where's my notepad, I have to write down another idea!" My daughter looked at my husband with an absolutely hilarious straight face and dry tone and said, "She's been like this for 2 days." Ha, ha! It's so true!

So.....I had the pleasure of meeting a numeracy coach from our school board and, long story short, she hooked me up with something called Maker Space. Never heard of it but I was certainly intrigued! She sent me a couple of links and when they appeared in my inbox, I was very excited. Now I was right in the middle of writing report cards. I had to make sure I stayed focussed on them to get them done or I would have some explaining to do when they printed out blank!

Finally, after 4 days, I was able to check out the links. Well my mind exploded! It's basically providing a creative space in the classroom. That sent my mind into ITS creative space. I liked the idea of space and the more I read about Maker Space, the more I thought about other spaces. And so the jotting and the drawing began!



My mind spilled with ideas! I began to imagine several spaces, each with a theme:
• Maker Space
• Puzzle Space
• Tech Space
• Reading Space
• Writing and Publishing Space
• Problem Solving Space
• Dramatization & Musical Space
• Good News Space (I teach in a Catholic School and want to create a space where they explore the Bible/prayers)

I decided to google "maker space primary" to see if I could get some ideas online. And I found this: http://www.mslirenmansroom.blogspot.ca It's like looking at my imagination! And then I read a quote on her site, "IF YOU CAN IMAGINE IT, YOU CAN MAKE IT!" And ohhhh, I am imagining!

The classroom makeover has begun. Each desk was cleared out and rather than each child having a book box, those boxes now house their personal stuff. No more names on desks or assigned seating. I found some tables I can use so I've traded out some desks for these tables. The other desks are arranged to create a table.

Our first day went something like this:



Hello engagement! Essentially, 9 Maker Spaces have been created with different themes covering all areas of the curriculum. I can't wait to see how this develops!

No comments:

Post a Comment